Sunday, November 11, 2007

Happy Birthday Granny!

Today is my paternal grandmother's 92nd birthday. She is doing well, living in a retirement community in Maryland. My parents, along with one of my nephews, his girlfriend, and Granny's daughter, are taking her out to dinner tonight. Granny has always been stylish and made almost all of my clothes until I was about 11. I was her first grandchild; she was only 44 when I was born. She and I used to watch the Miss America Pageant together to see all the gowns. When I was out with her people sometimes thought she was my mother. She didn't have the opportunity for much formal education beyond high school, but she is an avid reader and traveler. She has visited many places around the world. She and her siblings overcame a lot of hardship in their lives. I wish I was with her today, but will see her at Thanksgiving.

1 comment:

possumlady said...

Happy Birthday Granny!! She is a remarkable woman. Someone to definitely try to emulate. After all these years I'm still grateful to her for taking you and I to the Kennedy Center to see one of my most favorite actors--Jason Robards, act in The Iceman Cometh (one of Jason Robards most favorite and famous roles).