Thursday, August 2, 2007

Fact #7 I am an Atheist

So, time to talk about one of the most personal of subjects--religion or lack thereof. After years of wondering, I have decided that I am, in fact, an atheist. I just don't believe. I cannot make myself feel a faith that does not exist within me. I believe that there are many things that are beyond my understanding, or that of any human being at this time, but I believe that reason is behind all things, whether or not we are capable of discerning that reason.

What has struck me upon this acceptance is that it is really quite socially unacceptable to be an admitted atheist. I keep silent among co-workers or acquaintances when the subject of God or religion comes up, which it often does, even in casual conversation. Over 80% of Americans declare themselves as Christians. Any arguments about religion are often about what faith one believes in--are you Christian, Jew, Muslim, Hindu, etc.? The atheists are truly a minority.

It would be comforting to have a God to believe in, but if you don't, you just don't. Wishing doesn't make it so. My mom and I were having a conversation about this recently (she is a Christian). She can't explain her faith. I said that's what faith is--you have faith, you don't justify or explain it. In the same way, I do not.

So, that's enough of that. I am thankful that I live in a place and time where I can express my lack of faith without overt or state sanctioned persecution, even if it is a view shared by few.

4 comments:

KGMom said...

I am a Christian--AND I strive to be accepting and understanding of all faiths including no faith.
I have occasional arguments (really, discussions) with my dad--he thinks every expression of faith in the public square is OK--I don't. I think the whole point of "freedom of religion" is being free to be whatever.

Anvilcloud said...

I understand. In the end, it's something that you feel inside.

possumlady said...

I do have a lot more respect for folks like you that question things and give it thorough thought, instead of being raised in a certain religion and never questioning and basically sticking fingers in their ears loudly saying "la, la, la, la, I can't hear you, la , la, la" if anyone contradicts their belief.

I remember having an awakening after going to a Lutheran service with a friend when I was just out of high school. Before that, the only people I had ever known were Catholics. When she said she didn't believe that Mary was a virgin I was shocked. Then I really started thinking about it and thinking about how puritanical the Catholic Church was and how many other "stories" they proclaimed as the truth (i.e. Mary Magdelene being a prostitute), it was like a veil being lifted over my eyes.

So, I'm a Unitarian. I'd even go as far as a Christian Unitarian. We all have our own personal paths to follow.

Mary said...

I knew an atheist who taught at the Catholic high school I worked in for many years. Most the of Catholics were judgemental toward him (no surprise there) but the truth was that he was the most wonderful Christian I have ever met. A good friend.