Monday, July 30, 2007

I Love Clay Part 2

Well, I finally got around to narrating the photos below. Perhaps just a little more background is needed to round out the story. I had always loved pottery. When watching potters at the wheel at crafts fairs, I always wanted to reach out and touch the clay, but I never did. When I met DH, I found out that he had worked as a potter for about 7 years when he was in his 20's. I thought this was really cool and admired the things he had around the house from that time.

About 10 years into our marriage, DH and I hit a period where we wanted to explore a different way of life. We decided to move to a small town and open a pottery studio and crafts gallery. Without going into all the details, we did this. It lasted about 1 year while we struggled to find our design niche and watched our savings dwindle. Long story short, DH went back into the "traditional" workforce, which occasioned 2 moves until we found the place we are now.

We still have a potter's wheel, an extruder, a slab roller, some clay and some glaze chemicals. We gave away the electric kiln. We have not touched clay since we packed up our studio. However, one day when we get our garage cleaned out, maybe we will set up a small hobby studio. I miss playing with wet clay (always my favorite part, although I do like it at the leather hard stage, as well. Not that fond of decorating/glazing). So, I Love Clay is in hibernation right now, but could appear again one day.

5 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

How weird, I read two clay posts in a row after almost reading two colonoscopy posts in a row.

Here's the clay one: shrunklink.com/zpo

Anvilcloud said...

Just cut and paste that link.

shrunklink.com/zpo

Turtle Guy said...

Thanks for dropping by! You ran a pottery studio??? I'm impressed. Sometimes I wonder how my instructor makes it work. I run a small business and know how much it takes to make it go. If you enjoy working with clay, I suggest the sooner you can set yourself up in the garage, the better!

cat59 said...

Anvilcloud: Thanks for directing me to Turtle Guy's site.

Turtle Guy: Don't be too impressed. You notice it only lasted a year! From my perspective, nothing can take the fun out of a new hobby faster than trying to make a living doing it!

Mary said...

You always have something to look forward to! I think it's terrific that you and you DH share the same interests. Just think what you'll do during retirement! Open a business!