Monday, July 16, 2007

Random Fact #3

Fact: I have 2 degrees in early childhood education, but never taught or worked directly with children.

So, when last you visited, I had received a bachelor's degree in early childhood education. On to a career in teaching, right? Wrong. . .After student teaching for the last semester of my senior year, I ended up hating teaching!! Now, I didn't go into this just willy nilly. When, during my sophomore year, I thought I might want to teach young children (1st grade was my inclination), I spent a week with my uncle who was an elementary school principal and assisted in one of the first grade classrooms. I loved it. So, what went wrong? I don't know. Student teaching was like one continuous test. Every day your work was being observed by the classroom teacher you were working with or your college professor or both. It was draining and nerve wracking. Keeping the kids focused was a challenge. I could feel my patience wear thin with two or three boys with problems (these were 7 year olds!). If I was losing my patience as a student teacher, how was I going to be a good "real" teacher? Also, after all the schooling, it was amazing how unprepared I felt to actually start a classroom. Here's your room; now what? Anyway, much of this can be chalked up to immaturity and the rest to the fact that I just did not have the personality characteristics to work with large groups of children all day long. I should have investigated becoming a reading teacher or something where I could work with students one-on-one or in small groups, but I was not smart enough to think of that then and just wanted to get out! So, I graduated and then went floundering around in the job market for years, mostly using the clerical skills I had learned in high school. I may try to remember all of the places I have worked and list those tomorrow, but for now, let's move along to the second degree.

I maintained my interest in child development and educational policy (and, along the way, child care policy) and one day, about 6 years ago, took a job with a small non-profit early childhood education-focused association. The job turned into conference planning as one of the main programs of this association was to hold a statewide education conference. If you've caught on to the theme of my life at this point, it will come as no surprise to find that I hate conference planning!! (Of course, I didn't know that at the time and didn't know the job would have such a narrow focus.) This is when I had a revelation. If I wanted to be involved in the early childhood education field in a more substantive way, I was going to have to get more education. So, off to graduate school I went with the goal of earning at least a master's degree. I found a nearby program that offered a Master of Arts in early childhood education. It was for people who were interested in policy and research and did not require participants to have had a teaching background. It was, in fact, geared toward people who wanted to get a doctorate in education, but who did not yet have a master's degree. I had decided that I wanted a job analyzing research and making recommendations for early care and education policy in the U.S. or evaluating education and care programs and policy. What I didn't know was whether or not I needed a Ph.D. to do that. Being the reluctant student that I am, I was always questioning whether or not I should go into the Ph.D. program.

To wrap this up, I received my M.A. in 2004 and continued with the Ph.D. program, always with a finger to the wind hoping that the right job would fall into my lap sooner rather than later. That happened in 2006 when the non-profit where I had worked 6 years earlier, and was then serving on the Board of, decided to hire a new Executive Director. Ta da! I have just finished one year as the Executive Director. I wonder how long this will last?

6 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

... after all the schooling, it was amazing how unprepared I felt to actually start a classroom.

I can relate to that. First year was a tad rough, but it got much better form then on.

cat59 said...

Ah, so you are a teacher. Do you still teach? What grade/subject?

Mary said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mary said...

Cathie,

Being in education for so long, I have seen novice teachers sob in the faculty dining room. Some made it after a very difficult learning curve and other left and became successful elsewhere.

I admire your tenacity and honesty! I think you will always know yourself well and maybe this current job is cut out for you.

I enjoyed this post!

cat59 said...

Mary,

What is your relationship to the field of education?

Mary said...

I was a high school registrar for 15 years in a private school in Bel Air, MD. I then went to DE and worked at the DE Department of Education in the Exceptional Children Workgroup and School Improvement Workgroup for three years.

Now I'm at a CC in Charlotte - law enforcement continuing ed.