Thursday, July 5, 2007



What to talk about today? First crop of cherry tomatos from the garden yesterday. Harry and Nutmeg go to the vet tomorrow for check-ups and Meg has gotten a bald spot on her leg that needs to be looked at. They were a little uncomfortable with the sounds of fireworks last night. Harry, who's got hip dysplasia and doesn't usually do this kind of thing, got up on the sofa with me and then later on the bed with DH. The turtle is still around. He's been roaming around the yard and taking the occasional dip in the pond. But, what really is on my mind today is weight, mine specifically. It's been going up and up and up since I was about 29, with 2 major weight loss successes mixed in there. I don't want to be as thin as I was in my 20s, but I would like to stabilize at a comfortable and healthy weight. I have never been able to maintain my weight--it's either going up or down, and mostly it's going up. In the spirit of true confessions behind the annonymity of my blog, I am about 5 foot 7 inches and current 199.6 lbs. Which is good, considering I had gotten up to over 200 and that's when I really get uncomfortable. I've decided today is the day I am going back on a "program."

About 7 weeks ago, I got a Jack Lalane juicer. This was inspired by reading about "cleansing juice fasts." I was obviously in some kind of mood the day I ordered it. Anyway, I decided I would try a 3-day juice fast. Well, I quickly found out that just juice had an ill effect on my blood sugar (this is based on how I felt, not any knowlege of a medical problem) and I started thinking, "Hey, isn't fiber supposed to be good for you? Why am I taking the fiber out of my fruits and vegetables?" So, this morphed into an effort to make healthier food choices and generally eat less. This translates into not continuing to eat when I am full, no wine, and no artificial sweets (love sweets; those are my downfall). At that time, I decided not to eat red meat or pork either. Just concentrate on fish and chicken. Well, I was doing pretty well and that is when I dipped down below 200 lbs for the first time in over a year. Then, PMDD hit!! Suddenly, I was out of control, eating a whole large chocolate bar with a bottle of red wine. Polishing off a chocolate cake at work (a half of a cake!), having wine when I got home from work, etc. I had just gotten excited because my clothes were fitting better and I could feel them getting tight again.

Well, the PMDD is over (for a couple of weeks) and I got up the nerve to weigh myself this morning as a precurser to getting on the program again. (A lot of people say forget the scale; what is important is how you feel and how your clothes fit. I've always found that there's a direct correlation between my weight and those things.) Anyway, I was relieved to find that I had not undone all of my previous efforts, having not gone beyond 200 lbs. yet, as stated earlier. So, I am going to renew my efforts and hope to even add a little exercise this time (ugh!). I will not make every post about my weight or "the program," but may put some stats at the end of each post to keep track of my progress and what I ate that day--if I feel like it. So, today I offer you (and me) some photos of my current shape in a dress that I had to buy recently to go to a dressy work affair. I actually wore stockings and high heels! Felt like a stuffed sausage (is there any other kind?). After trying on almost every party dress in the women's department at the store, I opted for this straight dress rather than the others, in which I looked like a linebacker in a tutu. Anyway, it is my hope that the next time I wear a dress, I will not look like a flower covered refrigerator or a line backer in a tutu. I'd like to stop being shocked when I see myself in photos!
Poundage: 199.6

7 comments:

KGMom said...

What to say, what to say--I say this as someone who carries more poundage than I would like to.
The inspiration for me to lose some of it came with a pre-diabetic diagnosis. I went to a diabetic nutrition consultant who laid down the law--no more than 30 grams of carbs at a meal (with two 15 gram snacks in between) for a daily total of 120 grams. OK--start counting. WOW!
I was amazed at how much carbs are in foods--so I have tried to cut way down. The result--I lost 20 lbs. BUT--it is creeping back, and truth is, I am cheating--eating a bit more on carbs than I should.
It is an eternal battle--good luck, fellow warrior.

Anvilcloud said...

I am trying to be good these days too. A lot of the weight that I lost a few years has crept back on. Not all but too much. It's hard to really do well in the summer though when you tend to have more company or be company, but I am really trying. Good luck to you.

cat59 said...

What is there to say but, "Good luck?" Thanks!

possumlady said...

You are one brave woman, Cat59! Ah, the eternal battle of the weight. I also, obviously need to lose a ton of weight, but feel if I just lost 20 pounds, I'd feel so much better. I'm also the opposite of you. I hate to diet and am much more inclined to exercise. I also don't feel I should deny myself anything I want but need to moderate my eating. My God, life is so short, I just can't imagine going through the rest of my life counting calories or carbs. I do think it is more difficult (well, maybe not more difficult, maybe just different) when you're single and have no one to cook with or for. Coming home from a terrible day at work, stepping in cat vomit when walking in the door, having to clean up litter boxes and feed outside and inside cats...that pint of Chunky Monkey is SO much easier to have for dinner then thinking of "what healthy thing can I make for myself now at 8:30 pm." I think I felt my best in the mid-90s when I was working out regularly at Gold's Gym, just using the treadmill. Since my pinched nerve I've had to give up on jazzercise since it was just too ballistic and I've been telling myself to jump back on the treadmill but for some reason, I'm just not listening to myself!

cat59 said...

You're right, Possumlady, that Chunky Monkey is much easier AND much more appealing at the end of a long, hard day. It does help having someone else to help with the stresses and the cooking. The down side I have with DH is that he would rather comfort me with food than encourage me not to over eat. And, he doesn't need to do anything to watch his weight, so it is hard to see him having his wine, eating his cheese and peanuts. I have gotten him to agree to a 20-30 minute workout on our treadmill and rower in the evening before the news, which is a MAJOR victory. We'll see how long it lasts. I know I will not do this forever, which is depressing. I think I would be happy to lose 20 lbs., but have no faith that I could even keep that off!

Mary said...

I sympathize with you, Cathie. I gave up on Weight Watchers because I know what to do to lose weight. I'd like to lose 15 pounds between my neck and butt. If I would stay focused and determined to drink at least 1/2 gallon of water a day, walk briskly for 30 minutes a day, and eat in moderation, my weight will come off. What's stopping me? I don't know.

cat59 said...

Mary,

I know what's stopping you--the thought of drinking 1/2 gallon of water a day, walking briskly for 30 minutes, and eating in moderation! Plus the thought that if you want to keep off the weight, you have to do this for the REST OF YOUR LIFE!!