Monday, July 2, 2007

Dogs; you've gotta love 'em



I wanted to post a photo of Sandy, a dog in NC that stayed by a missing toddler all night and alerted searchers with a bark. They found the toddler sitting on a tree stump with his faithful companion by his side. However, I couldn't figure out how to post the photo from the newspaper. So, I've decided to use this opportunity to introduce you to our dogs, Nutmeg (Meg) and Harry. Guess which one is Harry and which is Nutmeg! They are both shelter dogs. Harry came to us after the shelter could no longer care for him. That was about 2 years ago. The vet said at the time that he could be anywhere between 4 and 7 years of age. He is clearly part Chow because his tongue is totally black. We went to the shelter and chose Meg about a year later. She was about 6 months at the time. I could tell lots of stories about them, but I need to go to bed now, so more later.

7 comments:

Mary said...

Harry the Bear! He looks a little grizzly but very, very huggable!

Nutmeg looks perky and a lot of fun.

Do they behave like good siblings?

Let's hear more about them. I love dog stories.

possumlady said...

I think you should rename Harry to Huggy Bear. (Wasn't that a character in the old Starsky and Hutch?)

Well, I thought I figured out a way, but I can again no longer comment on posts from home for some reason. So my commenting has been few and far between.

Also for posting photos from the internet--just right click on the photo, a menu pops up and click copy. Then open up your photo folder on your computer and paste it in there.

possumlady said...

P.S. Did you ever hear back from those Finnish Spitz people?

cat59 said...

Mary, I will post some dog stories soon. I am taking off work on Thursday and Friday so will have a nice "5 day weekend" when I can spend more time composing my thoughts.

Possumlady, Several of the Fin Spitz people emailed and said that if I sent them some photos of Meg, they would give me their opinion. However, only one wrote back and said that she was a beautiful dog, but almost certainly not a Fin Spitz. He included a photo of himself and his dog winning a show award and all I could think of was, "That looks just like Meg except for the ears!"

Anvilcloud said...

I like dogs a whole lot. I'm just not sure I'm up to having one. Cats are so easy.

KGMom said...

Aww--what great looking dogs. And good for you getting them from the shelter.
I assume Nutmeg is the brown one, and Harry is the hairy one!

cat59 said...

Yes; Nutmeg is the brown one and Harry is the hairy one! I've never had cats because I am allergic to them, but dogs do take a lot of TLC. As my friend possumlady put it once after getting a dog--cats are like living with roommates; dogs are like living with children! But, once you get hooked, it's hard not to have them in your life.