Sunday, September 9, 2007

DIY

Hi there!

I finally have something to post about after a long absence. I am putting up a tile backsplash behind our stove. DH and I are not DIYers (for others who are not DIYers, it means "do it yourself), but I like watching those shows on HGTV and tiling always looks to me like something I might like to do. I react to the idea of it in a similar way that I reacted to the idea of working with clay. So, we decided to give it a try on this small project. I am taking photos to document the process and will post when I am finished. Three things I have learned so far: 1) make sure all the tile you buy is the same kind (we realized 2 packs out of 6 were slightly different once we got them home), 2) be careful when pouring the liquid sealant into a container--that is the time when it might splash on your face (just a little drop), and 3) when it is incredibly hot outside, take the plastic wrap off of the tiles while you are in the air conditioned house rather than taking them all out onto the deck first! Here are some pics of the start of the project:


Oh, yes, but before I move on to more tiling, we did do one other project this weekend. DH replaced the chandelier in our dining room. We didn't like the one that came with the house. I saw an ad in the paper last weekend, asked DH, "how about this one?" We went to see it, bought it and, after quite a bit of effort, DH got it hung and working. We stepped back to see the effect. Ugh. . .we don't like it! Now that it's in place, we can see that it is too big, too dark, and too rustic for our furniture. Why couldn't we see that before we put it up!? Here are some pics:

4 comments:

Mary said...

Reminds me of my painting projects - they look good in your mind but not on your walls! I agree with your assessment of the light fixture. I think a brighter, shinier fixture would make the room pop.

I think your tile project will be fantastic since you have experience with clay, etc. We used to be DIYers with everything. Now we let our fingers do the walking in the yellow pages.

KGMom said...

I kinda like it. But maybe up close and personal shows a different effect.

Anvilcloud said...

This non-DIYer is impressed.

Unknown said...

Maybe you can sell it on ebay and get another one.